5:00 Session 1: - ILE Myths and MisconceptionsSpeaker: Susan Gantner - (Partner400)
ILE seems to bring confusion with it. In this session, Susan will address some of the most often asked questions she has received on ILE topics - from modules, service programs and signatures to activation groups. She will also highlight some of the biggest pitfalls she has seen with ILE implementations - and how to avoid them.
The session will address common myths and misconceptions such as:
- Why not just put modules in my binding directory and not bother with service programs?
- Why do I have to re-compile all my programs when a service program changes?
- Which changes will (and which will not) change a service program's signature?
- What is the default activation group and should I use it?
- What's wrong with the default values on commands like OVRDBF?
6:00 Intermission: (Buffet Dinner & Networking)
7:15 Session 2: - Tap Into RPG Open Source OptionsSpeaker: Jon Paris - (Partner400)
The world of open source has a lot to offer IBM I users. But while most of us know that languages like Java, PHP and Python offer wide ranging open source offerings, RPG open source projects are not as well known. In fact there are a number of RPG open source offerings, many of which open the door to using utilities written in other languages.
The RPG oriented tools available range from those designed to simplify the building of RPG-based web sites, to utilities to simplify the generation and consumption of XML and JSON. Others include tools to build and update Excel spreadsheets, generate graphs, send emails, and much much more.
In this session Jon will introduce you to a sampling of these offerings and discuss where they might fit into your toolbox.
8:45 Wrap Up and Door Prize draw